April 21, 2019

Sundays are now Son Days

My nephew and Niece came to stay with us for the summer vacation. It was one fine Saturday morning and we all got up late in the morning and I grabbed the milk pockets which was dropped inside the gate by the milkwala and rushed into the kitchen to make some coffee for us and badam milk for the kids.
Day out with Chellakutty
My hubby and kids were busy in reading newspaper, while I served the coffee. The kids were quarrelling with each other for the sports page. Finally my niece won the battle. So my angry little boy (Nephew) said at his sister (Niece) in angry "See Akka, whatever you study you must be at home cooking, Cleaning and washing like mom. I will only go to office to earn money like dad"
I was shocked at his comment. because he is not like other kids, he washes his canvas shoes by himself and helps his mom after school hours.

I questioned  him about his comment. He replied that, only his mom is doing all household chores while his dad goes to office and relaxes at home. so, he came to the conclusion that all the girls / women are meant to do household chores along with other work. where the men are the bread winners.

when I checked with my sister, about his, she said that her husband is always busy in his office work. so, she never insists him to help her as he comes home tired after a hectic day at office.

He never shares any household chores. So I understood the root cause for the little boy's comment.
This incident made me very upset. how could a little boy say like this???

I called the chellakutty and told him, Beta, boys and girls are equal. Only thing  is that we should understand is  girls can do few things at ease and boys can do the other . It doesn’t mean that work is meant only for girls or boys. boys and girls are equal.

with my Hubby & Chellakutty 

See me and uncle are both going to office and at home uncle helps me in all household chores. Some women like your mom are homemakers where your dad goes to office and comes home tired so your mom doesn’t want to disturb him. It doesn’t mean that she is meant for household chores. They are sharing the work between them like mom takes care of home and makes you study well  whereas your dad goes to work to earn money. atleast you & your dad gets leave on sundays  amd holidays but not your mom. infact Sundays and holidays are more hectic to her preparing dishes and snacks to keep you all happy.


The next morning my hubby prepared coffee as I was feeling very tired. he made the super strong coffee for us and milk for the kids and served it to all of us. he then went to our terrace garden along with kids and watered the plants with the help of kids.

Then we all cooked the Chicken Briyani, Chilli Chicken, chicken popcorn. raita and rasam for lunch. my little niece who is studying in eighth cleaned the floor while his brother mopped the floor. my hubby helped in chopping veggies. all of us shared the work and had a wonderful lunch.



later we all went for a movie. thus, my nephew learnt that household chores are not meant for girls alone. it has to be shared and there is nothing to feel shame for sharing the load.



He also learnt that people who hesitate to share the load is to feel shame not the one who shares...
I too understood that we should not teach about the responsibilities only to girl child we must teach to boy as well. Even my Hubby said " Life is all about Sharing and caring" so we should not hesitate to share the work at home and it is our duty. the kids nodded there head and thereafter no girly / boyy work it is called OUR WORK.  
Its our responsibility to nurture good things in our kids.... Now my sissy is happy as its no more just sundays its now very special with SONDAYS....



‘I pledge to #ShareTheLoad in household chores in association with Ariel and BlogAdda

No comments: